Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Email Journal #2 from 1st trip to Zambia

July 13, 2010

I dont have much time to write but I am thankful for your words of encouragement. Zicky and Wilbroad have been such a source of encouragement to me and I have no doubts in their ability to lead me, serve me and they are really so like minded. It has been a while since I have felt such a connection to brothers and sisters that I "do not know" It seems our hearts are in line and that God has so clearly orchestrated our meeting. Its amazing to see the path God has brought me down. Every detail and questions I have had seem to be making sense and coming together so perfectly. It really blows my mind. Well Love you all!!!

Well it has been a full week so far. I have literally been "thrown in" to the culture with the death of the girl I had asked you to pray for. She passed Wednesday evening just moments after we arrived. Funerals here are very different and are actually a bigger event than weddings. The mourning commenced that evening and still continues. It has been a very interesting thing to witness and I am learning a lot about the people here through this. The mourners go to the home of the parents and congregate. all of the women sit on the floor in a large room covered in rugs, mattresses and blankets. As each woman enters she approaches the mother kneeling and either embracing her holding her hand or laying next to her as they weep for her. Then they find a place in the room and continue to mourn the loss. Hundreds of people come family, friends, friends of friends even the nurses that tended to her at the hospital 1.5 hours away. Outside the men gather under army tents to support her father, every time I see him break down I am moved to my core. He has 3 other daughters and she was the 2nd oldest, a godly woman who served the Lord with her life and lived as an example to those around her. As Evening approaches many of the woman remain and will sleep over night on the floor with the mother and the men will do the same for the father. This started Wednesday evening and continued until last night. This is what they call the "funeral" The family provides breakfast, lunch and dinner for all the mourners during this time. Today was the burial, they bring the casket down the isle of the church, something similar to a bride waking down the isle. We sing"when Peace like a River"' and "There is a Land that is fairer" One young man gets up and shares a brief life history of the girl, Likando who was just 18. Her 3 sisters get up and sing a song that speaks of with God they can get through anything. I know for me I could not have done that if I lost my sister, my tears would prevent me. Her father comes and reads scriptures and prays and thanks God for allowing him to have been able to had her for this time and that he realizes that ultimately she does not belong to him but to the Lord. What an evidence of Gods grace displayed, again I am weeping. The pastor shares the gospel message so powerfully and the Spirit was clearly upon him. We proceeded to the burial. As they lowered her into the ground I looked around the plains that surrounded her and gathered were at least 300, maybe 400 people. I am told this is common with all burials. They begin singing hymns of praise, weeping comes but only for a moment as the voices of praise rise and rise. They call the family forward to throw a fist full of dirt and then begin covering the casket with everyone there, loud thuds echo as the dirt hits the coffin. They then mix some cement and lay that..then continue on with the dirt until a large mound is formed. Then they call select groups of people up starting with the family to place flowers and wreathes. Each individual there kneels on the mound and places their flower or flowers in the dirt. As I place my rose they are singing.."It is well with my soul and then they begin singing it in their native dialect." I am moved by all that I have seen in this tragic event. Such compassion and love for those who have lost someone so dear. I was telling Pastor Wilbroad last night that it surprises me to see this. Why? Because death here is such a common thing, I would have thought that they would become calloused by now by death. But no, they stop everything to do as Christ calls us to do...mourn with those who mourn and they do it genuinely. It is very taxing physically and emotionally but still so much of an encouragement.

Well be well and I look forward to seeing you all in a week. I have much to do when I get back, Be in prayer that God will begin preparing the hearts of people to give generously and that he will continue to make his will clear to me. I am thankful to see him opening so many doors and I am in faith that he has much more to do in and through me.

With all my love,

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment