Sunday, December 12, 2010

December 11, 2010

This morning I woke up around 8 and the electricity was out. I went to the kitchen to check the items I had in the frig to get a better gauge on how long it had been out. Everything was slightly cold so my guess is it went out some time last night. By 4 it was back on. The public water system was off most of yesterday and the day before, luckily where I am staying they have a deep well, so for at least the next month not having water will not be an issue. Once I have my own place I will need to keep a barrel reserve of water for such days when the water is off. I must say, it seems like each day has a new surprise or adventure waiting for me and I actually like it.

One evening a few days ago I was sitting reading in the living room as a monstrous storm aged outside. Over about a 30 minute period I started noticing these termite looking insects flying about, drawn obviously to the light. I decided to investigate where they were coming from. I checked the screen in the living room, nope, not coming in from there. I walked over and opened the kitchen door, flicking on the light and probably almost screamed. HUNDREDS of these inch and a half insects flying about bumping into each other and everything else. I stood there in shock for a moment, switched the light out and slammed the door. I ran to the other room and grabbed some DOOM (similar to Raid) and a large towel. I sprayed the parameter of the kitchen door and the keyhole then shoved the towel under the base of the door. I knew I would have a big mess to clean up in the morning but was happy to have them confined to one area. I guess this is my new normal. J

I have really found my evenings to be such a great and refreshing time with the Lord. Hour upon hour passes as I spend time reading, studying God’s word and praying. In less than a week I finished 2 of the 4 books I brought and have started on Bible Doctrine by Grudem. Reading this much is not something I have ever done and sure part of it is because I have less distractions but more so it’s the grace of God because I thoroughly enjoy it and look forward to it. So, those of you that want to send care packages, books would be great to include. Light books would include bible study paperback books that shouldn’t cost too much to send.

Psalm 63

“O God you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you for as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you. On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. Because you are my help, I cling to you; your right hand upholds me.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear your time with the Lord has been very rich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog posts.So good to hear that you're liking the adventures that would repulse most of us into paralysis! Love ya, girl.
    Do you have any special requests for particular Bible studies? Are you thinking book or topical studies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first moved to MD from PA, I remember really enjoying a lot of quiet reading time myself b/c I was so new to the area and had no friends nor much else to distract me at the time. It was a very special, intimate time w/ the Lord. It seems you are experiencing something similar and are appropriately enjoying it rather than bemoaning the potential loneliness of this time. I am going to pray that you will soak in God's Word and His presence through prayer, one day when things aren't so quiet over there for you, looking back on this time as a very precious time.

    ReplyDelete