Tuesday, January 11, 2011

January 7, 2011

Yesterday a grandmother came in to the school with 2 of her grandsons. The grandmother has lost 7 of her 9 children and these two boys along with their brother are under her care in the local slums. She came seeking to get the elder boy sponsored so that he can go to school starting this term. Both boys had their “report cards” from last year and were both rated #1 in their own individual class. (The class sizes were 60) The grandmother also brought the admittance letters for the new grade levels and a list of the costs for the public school he was to attend. The teachers at the school also approved him to skip a grade because of his excellent grades and intelligence. But I knew that with school starting in 3 days it was not very likely for him to get sponsored in time to start by then. I looked at the paperwork and figured out that once converted it would cost less than $100 for him to go to this public school for the entire year and that would include his books and uniform. I went home that night and all I could think about was this boy, William. I knew that there are hundreds of children in this type of circumstance and that I cannot help them all. I prayed that God would give me wisdom and direct me because I know I can’t on my own help them all. By morning I was sure of what I would do. My brother and his wife had sent me $100 for Christmas/my birthday and in my mind I could not think of a better way to spend the money. When I got to school the grandmother was again there, waiting to hear some news. I wrote a quick note to the pastor’s wife who is also the principal and informed her of my intentions. She took me into a back room and I shared with her how God had burdened my heart for this boy, William and we cried together. I love working with people who share my heart and burdens. We then called the grandmother into the back room with us and Zicky told her in Bemba that her grandson’s fees are being covered for this year of school and that God will provide a sponsor for him before the year is up. She fell to the floor crying and worshiping God with her hands raised. She then proceeded to kneel at my feet, hugging my legs and thanking me over and over again and asking God to bless me. I fell to my knees as well and we embraced. The three of us could not stop crying.

You too can make a difference in the life of a child like William. As of today William and his brother are not sponsored and there are many that await sponsorship. You can change the life of a child forever by visiting covenantmercies.org and choosing to sponsor a child or make a one-time gift. I guarantee there is no better investment of your money! So please visit the website and make the choice that will have a positive, eternal impact from generation to generation.

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is keep writing. Thank you for sharing these testimonies of God's kindness to the Zambian people. It's humbling to be used of God in the lives of others, isn't it?! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Bonnie, this brought tears to my eyes too. I know God is going to use you so much in the lives of these kids!

    ReplyDelete