Monday, January 3, 2011

December 28, 2010

I am getting more familiar with the roads here in Ndola, by foot and by bus. I normally walk to the town of Kansenshi, which is about 15 minutes by foot, to use the internet and if I need any more immediate food items. Along the way there is a small outdoor market that I enjoy strolling through. While passing through, I have been admiring some of the traditional clothing the tailor has displayed and plan on having some dresses or skirts made. I try to hold off going into town to no more than once a week just because it ends up being pretty much a full day event with the bus stopping so much along the way and the walking. When I do go into town I take my hiking backpack and fill it up with groceries and produce then head back to the bus station to wait for the bus to fill up. The driver won’t leave until all the seats are filled. As I wait street vendors crowd around the windows of the bus selling everything from pirated DVDs to knives to talk time for your cell phone. (all phones are pay as you go here). It’s always a new and usually somewhat exciting experience going into town. Taxis beeping at me, attempting to solicit my business; street vendors calling to me as I pass; young children begging for money; an old blind woman begging from a mat on the road and the constant bargaining when I comes to the final price of goods. They see my white skin and they think green. Just yesterday I went to buy my next months supply of anti-malaria medication and the pharmacist quoted me $300 for a months supply! That is more than what I would pay in the states! I asked the price for a “local” brand and was quoted 110,000 kwacha. I decided to compare prices and paid 43,000 kwacha for the same medication from a pharmacist in Kansenshi. I guess it is a good thing that I tend to compare prices when it comes to goods that are not marked with a price. I will just have to continue doing that.

Another common sighting is chickens just wandering around in the streets and neighborhoods. I wondered why this was so common and if the chickens get lost or stolen by a hungry passerby. Wilbroad informed me that the chickens are “tame” and know where they live and will just run home when it’s “time to go” or if they feel threatened. I just find that so amusing, who knew..lol

No comments:

Post a Comment