Sunday, January 23, 2011

January 21, 2011

Week two of school is officially over, my how the time flies. I am starting to see progress both academically and in behavior with my kids. Just like any other children they have their good and bad days. I think to some extent I know how parents must feel when seeking to effectively shepherd their children. Having 25 students, many of whom who would be classified as disruptive it would be easy to become overwhelmed. I have been on the verge of that feeling more than a few times. The Lord has been good to me though and has given me wisdom when I am lacking. After trying and seemingly failing to maintain some form of class order on Friday I was at a loss. Kids were fighting, stealing pencils and erasers from one another, talking to each other and making all kinds of noise. The pupils actually doing their work were in the minority. I was very aware of my weakness. I decided to leave the room and get one of the other teachers. I told her of the situation and had her talk with them in Bemba. There was a big improvement with most of them but a handful were still very disruptive. So far I have tried kneeling near them and talking to them about doing there work, I have tried moving them to a different table and as a class they are having to constantly repeat the following phrases when prompted: “Mouths should be what?.... Closed, “Pencils should be what?... Writing. “ or “Ears should be what?...Open” and “Eyes should be where? …On the teacher” It works for most of them most of the time. Friday however was a bit different. Maybe they were hungry or restless, I am not sure but the normal stuff was not working. I prayed and asked God to give me wisdom and he did. My next move was to take whichever student was talking out into the hall and have a one on one talk with them. I had to do that with about 5 of them but they needed it. I squatted to their level resting my hand lovingly on their shoulder and talked to them about how by talking in class they are being a distraction to others, not respecting me and not honoring God. Then I would say a little prayer with them asking God to help them obey and stay focused on doing their work. I think this is going to be my new practice. God is at work in the hearts of his children, including me J

Some verses I was reflecting on this week are as follows:

Lamentations 3:21-26, “ Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness. I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait on him. The Lord is good to those who hope in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.”

Isa 41:10, “ So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

Ps 46:1, “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.”

Ps. 9:10, “Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.”

Psalm 25:8-9 “Good and upright is the Lord; therefore he instructs sinners in his ways. He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his ways.

Psalm 29:11, “The Lord gives strength to his people, the Lord blesses his people with peace.”

James 1:5, “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.”

3 comments:

  1. God certainly does give wisdom. Don't be surprised, though, if a few of those "hall kids" are repeat offenders in order to get your one-on-one attention. :) Coupling the talks with extra work or taking away some social time as a consequence is often quite helpful (and keeps the diligent workers from discouragement...as in, be sure to reward them for being faithful in the small things. But I"m preaching to the choir here. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful to hear how you are doing in teaching. Because I have never been a teacher to disruptive kids and or a parent, unfortunately I cannot share any helpful tips. All the verses you shared spoke to me mightily even though we are in different situation and different places. The Lord is definitely with you, Bonnie. I will pray for you continuously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur w/ Zo's input, but ultimately God will give you wisdom for these little guys. I love that verse from James. There are times when nothing anyone else suggests "works", but God will just open my mind to an idea or an approach and it does work. Then, there are times when nothing "works" in terms of seeing changed behavior (this is where I live most days w/ my kids) and that is when we persevere in prayer and faith that GOD is the one who moves hearts and changes behaviors as a result. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete