Sunday, March 27, 2011

March 27, 2011

This weekend I attended a 2-day international Christian teaching convention in downtown Ndola. I am still in processing mode but really was overwhelmed at how God met me there. He really used the sessions to give me a renewed vision for teaching and even somewhat of a new perspective. One of the quotes flashed on the overhead screen really struck me, It went something like this: “Being a teacher is like being a candle; it consumes itself to light the way for others” As I have reflected on this quote I am reminded of the great Teacher, Jesus Christ who lived a life of sacrifice and who ultimately gave his life for his “pupils”. And what are we called to do? I will reference Ephesians 5:1-2 to answer this question in part. “Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Christ poured out himself fully on our behalf. It is clear from scripture that this was not easy. In Jesus’ last moments before crucifixion he cried out to his Father, “ My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will. Matthew 26:39b. As I reflect on the life of Christ, I am both convicted and challenged. The bible makes it clear that our lives, what we do, are to be an act of worship to the Lord. Romans 12:1, “Therefore, I urge you brothers, in view of God’s mercy to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship.” 1 Corinthians 10:31 says, “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” To be honest, it is difficult for me to imagine doing everything as an act of worship and to the glory of God. In my mind I say, “How is that possible?” I think I am still processing these thoughts but at least for now I can say is that God wants us to be aware of him in anything and everything we are doing. All things are by him and through him. all we are and all we have are by him and through him. Even our struggles and sufferings are for a greater purpose. He is the potter who is skillfully forming us more and more into is image. We may not understand, we may fear but we must trust the ever faithful, the ever present help in time of trouble and remember that his plans for us are better than any plans we could have for ourselves. The more we empty ourselves of ourselves the more God can fill those places and work more effectively in us and through us. And I have come to realize that this is completely and utterly impossible on our own. Where does it start? It starts with prayer. Getting on our knees and asking God to change our hearts and give us the desire to see him glorified and to see his purposes fulfilled through us. This is all still in process in my mind, so I am hoping this at least makes some sense. I will leave you with some more verses to reflect on, I received them in an email last week.


Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light
for my path.
( Psalm 119:105 *NIV )

For all the negative things we have to say to ourselves,
God has a positive answer for us! After all.....

When You say, "It's impossible".
God says:
"All things are possible". ( Luke 18:27 )

When You say, "I'm too tired."
God says:
"I will give you rest". ( Matthew 11:28-20 )

When You say, "Nobody really loves me".
God says:
"I love you". ( John 3:16 & John 13:34 )

When You say, "I can't go on."
God says:
"My grace is sufficient." ( 2 Corin 12:9 & Psalm 91:15 )

When You say, "I can't figure things out."
God says:
"I will direct your steps." ( Proverbs 3:5-6 )

When You say, "I can't do it."
God says:
"You can do all things in Me." ( Phil 4:13 )

When You say, "It's not worth it."
God says:
"It will be worth it." ( Romans 8:28 )

When You say, "I can't forgive myself."
God says:
"I forgive you." ( I John 1:9 & Romans 8:1)

When You say, "I can't manage."
God says:
"I will supply all your needs." ( Phil 4:19 )

When You say, "I'm afraid."
God says:
"I have not given you a spirit of fear." ( 2 Tim. 1:7 )

When You say, "I'm always worried and frustrated"..
God says:
"Cast all your cares on ME ( 1 Peter 5:7 )

When You say, "I don't have enough faith."
God says:
"I've given everyone a measure of faith." ( Romans 12:3 )

When You say, "I'm not smart enough."
God says:
"I give you wisdom." ( 1 Corin 1:30 )

When You say, "I feel all alone."
God says:
"I will never leave you or forsake you." ( Hebrews 13:5 )

Always remember that; Every Word of GOD is Flawless; HE is a shild to those who take refuge in HIM. ( PROVERBS 30:5 ) For the Word
of GOD is living and active! Amen. ( HEBREWS 4:12 )

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post Bonnie. God is at work in your heart and life, so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete