Monday, July 9, 2012

Seeing the fruit of my labor



One thing that I am is busy!! But nonetheless it’s important to let my supporters see at least a glimpse into my everyday life here in Ndola, Zambia.  I am sure every child struggles with being truthful when telling the truth means they will be punished. Over the past 6 months one of the lessons I have tried to instill into my babies is the importance of telling the truth, even if it means you will get punished. I have tried to help them understand sin and how when we do something wrongs we are not only sinning against that person but against God. I had been seeing a pattern of lying in some of the children and wanted them to understand that even if I don’t know if they are lying there is someone that does, God.  There are days when I will stop teaching the “planned lesson” to take advantage of a teachable moment. One day we spent a good 30 minutes talking about how God is everywhere and how he sees everything we do and knows even our every thought. As I was talking and looked around the room many of the little faces were fascinated and even surprised at the concept of this. Hands went up and questions started flowing. Can he see even if it’s dark? How can he see what I am doing and also what someone else far away is doing? I sat on the edge of one of the desks, put the text books aside and we had ourselves a practical theology lesson. After the questions had been satisfactorily answered we got back to our science lesson.
A few weeks later I was in the other classroom talking with one of the teachers and heard some commotion out in the hall.  When I peaked out of the door I saw the groundskeeper scolding some of the children from my class. I walked over and found they were arguing with one another. Apparently, after I left some of the boys were running and sliding on the freshly polished floors, something they are reminded on a daily basis not to do. They know that doing this will result in punishment. When I asked who was sliding on the floor they all of course were telling me each others names, not their own. So I stopped them all and after reminding them of the conversation we had some weeks ago said, “ Ok, I am going to give you each a chance to do the right thing and tell me the truth. Remember that even if I do not know if you are lying God knows.”  There were 6 boys, one by one I asked them ok (insert name), were you running and sliding on the floors?”  5 out of the 6 boys admitted they had if fact disobeyed and were sliding on the floors. I thanked them for telling me the truth and said they had done the right thing and God was happy that they choose to tell the truth even though they knew they would be punished. I gave them each a hug as they said,” sorry teacher for lying” and had them go sit down in their seat. The 6th boy refused that he had been sliding and when he did this there was a loud outcry from the class saying, “Teacher, he is lying..he was sliding!!!!” I held up my hand, signaling them to stop talking then said to him, “Your friends are telling me that you were sliding and you are telling me you were not. Someone is lying. I don’t know because I was not here but I want you to do the right thing and tell me the truth.  So, I am giving you one more chance to tell me the truth. So, if you need to change your answer go ahead and do that now.” His reply was, “ok, yes teacher I was sliding.”  He apologized, I hugged him and thanked him for telling the truth and then he went to his seat. This dialogue took a good 15-20 minutes as I recapped what sin is, how God sees everything even if I do not and the importance of telling the truth even when it means you might get punished. I had been over near the door to the classroom talking with the boys about this and once I was finished it was time for morning break. I walked back to the middle of the classroom and we prayed for the snack and then they lined up to go outside. As they were lining up one of the girls came up to me crying. I leaned down close to her, as it was difficult to hear her through the tears. I told the rest of the class to go ahead outside and then asked her what was the matter. My thought was that she wasn’t feeling well or someone had hit her. Through her sobbing she said, “Teacher, I have come to beg for your forgiveness.” I said, “Ok, what is it that you need to ask my forgiveness for?” She said, “Well teacher, remember that time when we were still in the other building and you had asked me if I ran around the building two times when I was only suppose to run around once?” I said, “Yes, I remember.” “Well,” she said, “I told you that I had only run around once, but that was a lie, I had run around two times. Will you please, please forgive me? “ I just embraced her and rubbed her back as her tears and sobbing continued. I had been oblivious to the fact that she was listening to the conversation from clear across the room as I was speaking to the 6 boys about truthfulness. I was so touched and grateful that God used that conversation to convict her heart for lying to me that time, nearly 5 months ago. Thank you Lord for allowing me to be part of this precious moment. I thanked her for coming back to me and telling me and that it made me very happy and that even God was happy that she decided to come tell the truth, even though it happened so long ago. These are the moments where I see God at work in the hearts of his dear little children, the moments that fill my heart with such joy to see them choosing the path of righteousness and repentance. My prayer is that God will continue to use me to help shepherd their hearts. It’s such a privilege to see them grow in this area and I know he is faithful to complete the work that he has started.  Give me the patience and wisdom I need to lead them closer to you! 

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Bonnie! Children hate to carry the burden of sin (as do adults) and just want to be freed of it by forgiveness. I love that you took advantage of the teachable moment and that you gave the 6th boy a second chance. That is grace in action, to him and everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Bonnie. God is certainly using you to speak to their hearts!

    ReplyDelete