Thursday, August 25, 2011

August 12, 2011

2 months ago I applied for my long-term work permit in Lusaka, which is about a 5-hour bus ride from where I stay in Ndola. The place was packed and there seemed to be no real order to things. Lines and lines of people from so many different countries filled the hallways and small offices. I signed it at the vacant front desk and made my way through the crowds of people, not knowing where to go. I popped my head into one of the offices and saw a man sitting at a desk with no line. I asked him where I need to go to apply for my work permit and he informed me that I could take a seat and he would be happy to help me. He quickly looked through my documents and spouted of 2-3 things I was missing and need before I can even apply. As he listed off the things I was missing he mentioned that it was REQUIRED that I include teaching certificates and teaching diplomas. I told him I do not have any of those items because I have never gone to school to become a teacher. He just looked at me and said, “Well, they are required so come back once you have them and then I can submit your application.” I left the immigration office a bit discouraged but then I spent time praying and reminding myself that Zambia is where God called me to be and he can make a way where there seems to be no way. I took a taxi to an internet cafĂ© and printed off the other two items they had requested, the school’s license and the job offer letter I received for the teaching position. While rummaging through my old emails I came across the letters of recommendation I had emailed when applying for the job. I decided to print them as well, thinking who knows maybe the more paperwork I have the better. By the time I finished it was too late in the day to return to immigration so I just sent out texts and emails asking people to pray for me and for the Lord’s favor for the next morning when I would return to immigration.

The following morning I arrived at immigration as the doors opened and made my way back to the same immigration officer’s office. I greeted him in one of the local dialects, Bemba and took a seat in the broken chair next to his desk. I handed him my documents except for the letters of recommendation and as he looked through them asked if I had all the requirements. I informed him again that I have everything except for the certificates and diplomas and that they are items I will not ever have to submit. Once again he said, “they are required for submission and there is nothing I can do for you without them.” I told him that even though I did not have a degree in teaching I had taught last year in the states and had a letter of recommendation from the principal/director of that school. He told me he could not be the one to approve that and sent me to another desk out in the hall. As I stood in the line of about 12 people I just prayed and asked God to act on my behalf. He brought to mind the verse in Proverbs 21:1 which reads, “ The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.” He gave me a peace and a confidence in the fact that it is not these immigration officers or the government that is in control but him. Once I reached the desk of the 2nd immigration officer she looked at my paperwork and told me I needed to see the office supervisor. She pointed me in the direction of his office and once again I made my way through the growing crowd of people. I entered the office, which was over crowded with desks, files, and people. No one was waiting at his desk so I approached and informed him that I was told he needed to review my file. I explained that I was working in Ndola as a 3rd grade teacher and needed to apply for my long-term work permit. He asked why I could not be helped by the two immigration officers I had previously seen. I explained that I do not have the required teaching degree or teaching certificate documents to submit an application and I will never have them. I continued to explain that last year I was a teacher in the states even though I did not have a teaching degree. I told him the only thing I have is a letter of recommendation from the director/principle of that school. He asked to see the letter, quickly read it, pulled out a stamp, stamped the letter and signed it. He then took the rest of my documents put them in a file and said, “I am approving your file for submission, take this receipt to the accounting desk to pay and then return the receipt to me to place in your file.” I was so excited and just in awe of how God works, as I left the office and was walking down the road I just started laughing. My application was approved for submission!! And they accepted a 2-paragraph letter in place of a teaching degree!?!?!?!?!? HA!! Only God could do such a thing! So now it was time to wait to see if my application would be approved. But honestly after all that I was not worried.

Fast forward 2 months I was back in Lusaka to follow up, being that the Ndola office had no status update for me and the Lusaka immigration number I was given to call was never answered. As I walked up to the next free immigration officer and sat before them as they flipped through the book of application statuses my heart was pounding fast. I don’t know if it was from anticipation or nervousness but it seemed like an eternity and that book was at least 200 pages. I have no idea how it was organized but finally she came to my name and I strained my neck to catch a glimpse of what lay before her. Before I was able to see she said, “Ok, here we are…you have been approved for a 2 year work permit.” I was sooo excited I just wanted to hug her and hug everyone I saw. She stamped my receipt and informed me that they are currently out of work permit books but I can follow up and eventually they will have them. As I walked out the doors of the immigration office my tears welled up with tears as my heart overflowed with gratitude to my Lord and as I reflected on his goodness and faithfulness to me that had been displayed once again. What a mighty God I serve!!! Psalm 77:12, “ I will meditate on all your works and consider your mighty deeds.” If we take time to do this on a daily basis there is nothing that will come from it but a heart of worship, a thankful heart to the one who works wonders on our behalf. Psalm 118:15-16, “Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous: The Lord’s right hand has done mighty things! The Lord’s right hand is lifted high; the Lord’s right hand has done mighty things.” And verse 21a, “I will give you thanks, for you answered me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment